This article offers a guide to what we might focus on in the coming year in relation to the changes occuring in the atmosphere of Spaceship Earth. Stories include:
1. Will Trump withdraw the US from the Paris Climate Agreement and kill clean energy funding?
2. How will countries and others respond to a climate-denying US administration?
3. China, the world’s largest emitter, and coal consumption.
4. Will Arctic Sea ice continue to decline, opening up the fabled Northwest Passage once and for all?
5. Renewable energy getting cheaper and cheaper vis a vis fossil fuels.
6. Climate change, forests and REDD+ (Reducing Emissions form Deforestation and forest Degradation).
7. Ongoing global coral reef bleaching event and other climate impacts on Earth’s oceans.
8. Citizen-led climate action – this is a subset of our hoped for CASE – Community Action for Spaceship Earth, the purpose of this website. The American author of this article refers to direct protest (Keystone XL & Dakota Access Pipeline) and divestment from investment in fossil fuel production as examples of direct action.
Larsen C Ice Shelf seems likely to calve a gigantic 5000 sq. km. iceberg as big as South Wales in the near future as reported here. This event may or may not be related to global warming.